3 Comments

  1. Paul McCarty on June 19, 2012 at 5:40 pm

    Wow, clover AND thistle! You guys are rolling in it. We only have trace amounts of either of those down here in my area. We have the market cornered on Cottonwood and Willow, however.

  2. Ralph Ketter on June 20, 2012 at 4:00 pm

    Sorry to hear you lost a couple of swarms Rob.  I returned from my trip last night.  This morning I had to check the new BeeWeaver colony you helped me install just 12 days ago.  I removed the now empty feed can.
    I was impressed by all the new comb.  I did not see the queen.  I did not notice larva but there was eggs and sealed cells.  The one old comb I gave them broke off during the installation.  I moved the broken off portion a couple of bars away and made two pencil like supports to hold it vertically under an empty bar.  The bees filled in the missing couple of inches of comb and reattached it to an empty bar.  In this photo, I inverted the old comb with the supports to work on them.  I managed to remove the pencil supports which are shown in the inset photo in the upper right.  The reattachment was not perfectly centered like the new combs but that was probably because of my misalignment.
    Overall, I am very impressed with their progress in only 12 days.  Many of the new comb appears to be nearly full hive depth but not yet full width.  My guess is they have completed at least the equivalent of 4 FULL NEW combs (maybe more).  I made sure they have plenty of empty bars to work on.

  3. Paul McCarty on June 21, 2012 at 11:01 pm

    No matter how much I have tried this year, it seems I cannot stop my bees from swarming. I had my newest bess, my cordovans, swarm on me today. I just checked them two days ago and only saw a single queen cell which I took for a supercedure cell so I left it. darn the luck!

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Skip to toolbar